Thursday, December 30, 2004

It's a long way

I tracked my progress to the Middle East by the cities that drifted by far beneath the plane, cities whose names were beamed up to us via the plane's onboard tracking map. I started feeling far from home when the balance of vowels to consonants in the city names began to fall out of whack. Munich and Berlin I recognized. But then the cute flight attendants passed out a snack and when I looked at the map again, we were passing over places called Brno and Plzen and Iasi.



The flight from New York to London traced a lovely straight arc across the Atlantic, then wheeled south over Europe. People have been asking me for months whether I was nervous about my trip, and the truth is I never was. I kept waiting for my nerves to make themselves felt, but they stayed quiet all through November and December. It was the moment that the last recognizable city name -- it was Prague, actually -- finally disappeared off the little map screen in the back of the headrest. That was the moment I got nervous. I looked down and saw the lights far below in eastern Europe and realized I'd never been farther away from a single person I knew.

Watching "The Bourne Supremacy" instead of the scrolling map took the edge off somewhat. When the movie ended, I checked the map again and was relieved to once again see a city I recognized. The relief didn't last long. The city was Baghdad.

You can see on the map above that our flight path only deviated from its smooth curve one time, towards the end. That little zig was Iraq, and I think we can all agree that the pilot showed wisdom in that particular move. When we zagged back, we were over Saudi Arabia and the sun was coming up. I stretched my neck to see the sand but the desert was covered by clouds. When the clouds finally broke, we were over the Persian Gulf -- Emirati locals call it the Arabian Gulf, because Arabs despise Persians -- and the plane was low to the water. I saw oil derricks and one giant boat that seemed to be leaking a huge amount of green sludge into the water. When Dubai appeared on the coast, the one thing that struck me about the aerial view was the sand. It's a city built entirely into sand.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric,

I am your secret admirer . . . oh, I mean, what I meant to say was: Great post! Keep it up! We cubicle-dwellers need to live vicariously through SOMEBODY, after all. :)

KR

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Kelly Clarkson!!! (say it in a faux high-pitch voice)

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Eric,
You're really funny . . . for a boy (and a non-goy)!
Although you are correct that Plzen overindulges in consonants, the same cannot be said for the fine brews that it produces (Pilsner Urquell, etc.). One can never have too many brewdogs.
It's good to know that you have survived transnational flight and arrived safely in your new home.
Best wishes from your former home.
Dominic

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Well, I knew life was different without you when I had my first "sans Eric" Chipotle experience. Taking the first bite of that delicious burrito just wasn't the same without a side of witty banter. And just wait until bbq season...it's dreadful to even think of it.
Hello from the land of opera--here's to Dubai!
LIZ

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

You are such a great writer! We miss you too, but this is an adventure of a lifetime and we are so excited for you. Have fun and do something crazy over New Years! Is it New Years there?

Love, Regina and Jeremy

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big E!

We miss you around here, bud. New Year's won't be the same without you. Love the blog - dare I even say that it has exactly the right amount of cowbell? Speaking of which, sounds like if you can buy gold-plated diapers, its probably in Dubai. Might want to look into some of those as gifts for the family!

Keep up the great posts!

~AK

9:29 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Kelly Clarkson reads my website!! OMIGOD!!! It must be the cowbell... see what happens when you give it more cowbell.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home