Monday, February 21, 2005

The world's funniest statistics problem

My friend Bhavna is taking correspondence courses in statistics from a university in Delhi, India. This was one of the problems in her textbook. I swear to God, I am not making this up.



It's a little hard to read, so here's what it says:

"A man wants to marry a girl having qualities: white complexion -- the probability of getting such a girl is one in twenty;
handsome dowry -- the probability of getting this is one in fifty; westernised manners -- the probability here is one in a hundred. Find out the probability of his getting married to such a girl when the possession of these three attributes is independent."

My question is: What is the probability of ever finding a funnier math problem than this?

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Thanks Bhavna for letting me use this. If there are more of these, I definitely want to see them.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can deliver on most....I'd have to work on the manners part. That's all that's keeping me from a husband...

3:09 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Who is this, and how much is your handsome dowry?

3:37 AM  
Blogger MAIA said...

i cannot freakin believe that math equation.. but yeah.. here in the philippines guys prefer chics with fair skin... but i am very much aware that women in india have to give tons of gifts to the guy they want to marry... no offense [i love india] but.. aint that unfair? :) what if i am there and i am poor? gee, that will suck! anyway, that equation is really funny though.. :)

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home