Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My neighborhood

I want to do a lot more photography of my neighborhood, but here's a start. The area is called Karama, and it's the Indian part of town. The glitz of downtown Dubai isn't found here, and I'm glad. Instead, the neighborhood has personality -- kids playing cricket in the alleys, laundry hanging from windows. In the morning I hear the daily call to prayer through my window -- more on that later. I live above a giant Indian grocery, and when I come out into the street in the morning, I pass by the bakery side of the shop. Oh man, that smells so good.

Here are some pictures I took at twilight. Twilight makes anybody a good photographer.

A nearby mosque.


Kids playing soccer in a sandy lot. The goalposts are giant spools of cable.


Sheikh Zayed road is one of the main streets in Dubai. It runs all the way through downtown, seen in the distance.


Another shot of downtown Dubai. The building in front is the Trade Center, the first building to rise from the empty stretches of sand a few decades ago. The two buildings behind the Trade Center are the Emirates Towers. I'll take more detailed photos of these buildings soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those big spools of cable used for soccer posts look incredibly familiar! when i was a kid we had a few of those (empty) in our backyard, my brother and i used to play circus on them :-)

cory

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home