Thursday, February 03, 2005

Al Manama

The supermarket in my apartment building has everything, including lamb's brains. One day I pointed at the brains in the case, wrapped neatly in their little plastic like any other meat product, and asked the butcher what they were. "Brains," he said.

Next to the brains were entire lambs' heads, skull and all. I pointed at those and inquired. "Lambs' heads," the guy said in his very thick Indian accent. I actually couldn't really understand him, but it was clear enough what he said. You don't have to be an Indian grocer to recognize a skull when you see one. Lambs have serious underbite, by the way.

Then I pointed at the shapeless meat on the other side of the brains. What are those? I asked the butcher. I didn't understand what he said, because I know he couldn't have said what I thought I heard. I thought he said "booty."

I left before he could see me snickering. By the way, let's take a vote: Do you want a photo of what little brains look like, wrapped up in meat packaging? Comment below.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Eric! It's Beth McConnell. I don't want to see lamb brains, but I do want to say that I have read through Feb. and Jan., and I just love your blog. Your writing tickles me. It sounds like you're having the best time!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Eric. It's your father. More photos of the 7 star hotel, and no pictures of any animal brains, please.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone with more than a passing interest in brains, I vote against the consensus and would like to see the lamb brain, preferably in a pot on your stove with some curry sauce brewing next to it. Chris

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, brains should not be exploited. please dont post pictures!!
-pk

6:23 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Brains it is then!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've eaten calf brains before. They were in an omlette that I had in Spain. I'm intrigued. You should try them we can compare notes. I thought they were disgusting.

Danielle

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm casting my vote for both brains, and perhaps a tad more cowbell.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

This last commenter really got to the heart of the matter, I think. Absolutely we will have more cowbell.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home