Friday, January 28, 2005

The Grand Mosque of Oman



The world's largest Persian rug is inside – roughly the size of a football field. It took 600 Persian women four years to sew it. I desperately wanted to see it, but evidently you have to be a Muslim if you want to see the damn rug after 11 a.m. So said the Muslim pilgrims outside the mosque. I was about to argue, but then I realized that the guys I assumed were Muslim pilgrims – the ones wearing wine-colored dishis in the picture below, like they just stepped out of Raiders of the Lost Ark – were not pilgrims at all, but mosque guards. You know how I figured it out? Because they were wearing f#©&ing guns.

I decided not to push my luck on the rug thing.















As you probably noticed, this last picture isn't the Grand Mosque. It's the "Islamic Science Center," whatever that means. Islamic science has been on a wee bit of a break these last thousand years or so – as my friend Dennis pointed out, the fact that many of our Arabic students can't do simple algebra is particularly upsetting given that the Arabs invented algebra. I guess you can't complain too much about the Islamic Science Center, though – it presumably bears a closer relationship to actual science than does Christian Science.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, you've got your sense of humour working at warp speed. very good comments to accompany the pictures. love, Dad

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er i am sooo proud of you! what an adventure you are having. jeni says hi she is here in hotlanta with me. dont be mad that i havent called you i have no way of calling you, but my roomates are actually sick of hearing about you and they are starting to call me out on how much i talk about you. i love you and i miss you and i am very proud of you! the pictures are gorgeous. that camera is coming in handy!

lots of love
sis

9:39 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Hey sweetie. Tell your roommates I said they damn well better listen to your stories about me, and that they'll sit quietly and smile until you're good and finished, and they'll like it.

And Hi Jeni!!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those mosques look absolutely beautiful. I am glad that you are enjoying yourself. Cannot wait for you to come home soon. DC misses you! Love, Reggie (and Jeremy)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home