Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Roundabout art

Streets in the Middle East don’t get names. For example, I live on the corner of “27c and 3a, community 316.” Sexy, I know.

Instead, drivers navigate by landmark, and to make things easier for their beloved peoples, local rulers mark the roundabouts – traffic circles – with giant works of art. Directions might go like this: “Follow the central road to the giant leaping fish, then turn right until you get to the massive chicken taco…”

I can’t decide if these sculptures are inspiring or hideous. Judge for yourself. My favorite is…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good pictures, Er. Maybe that big bird would inspire you to fly. Shades of Sesame Steet. paint it yellow. any giant statues of golfers? love, Dad

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous statues. A truly ingenious way to give directions. I had to stay at this motel in Elko while looking for a real place to live. Anyway, it was next to the sewage plant. I was joking with my friends that these were the directions to my place. "Head east out of town until it smells really bad. Pass the sewage plant on the left. When the smell is still present but muted the motel will be on your right" The giant bird would be just as funny, but not as abnoxious. Miss you

Danielle

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home