Tuesday, January 18, 2005

American Pastoral

Book club, I miss you! I read the book this month and want to comment. Everyone else can skip this post.

I read American Pastoral in my first few days here, and it was evocative enough for me to ward off the twinge of homesickness I was feeling. I love the way Philip Roth writes the same way a curious and impulsive person explores a new city -- up one alley, down another, sidetracking for pages at a time, wandering down whatever path strikes his fancy at the moment. American Pastoral would be impossible to outline. I wonder whether the type of people who make detailed vacation itineraries when they travel to new cities would enjoy a wandering book like this?

I would need to read the book again to figure it out. When did Merry die? When did the Swede divorce, and how long until he got remarried and had children? I got the sense that you could figure out the chronologies if you had a pencil and paper.

I wish I could ask the book club what they thought of Jerry -- there were times when I identified with him and his hard-ass advice about Merry, and other times when I thought he came off as a prick. I'm also not sure whether I liked the Swede -- I wanted him to be more decisive. I wanted him to make a huge scene at the dinner party at the end. I was anticipating that scene with such excitement! I was really disappointed that he didn't do it. Yet I think I liked the Swede anyway. I liked him for the same reason Zuckerman liked him -- he was a very deep person who didn't congratulate himself on his own depth. He didn't wallow in it and rub everyone's face in it like Jerry. I always liked the phrase "still waters run deep," and the Swede embodied that.

I'm reading a biography of Ben Franklin, and I love one of his lines as Poor Richard: "Let all know you, but no one know you thoroughly. Men freely ford that see the shallows." I really agree with that, though I would change it to "let few know you thoroughly." And yes, I see the irony in posting that sentiment on a website where I chronicle my life. But I think the publisher Franklin would have loved keeping a blog, and he wouldn't have bared his soul too deeply on it, any more than I would.

But back to the Swede: I like to imagine that the Swede made a big scene after the book ended, then went off and started another family and was happy. Book clubbers, I would be so thrilled if you would leave your comments below... Tell me what you talked about Sunday...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Thanks so much for your thoughts - I found them quite provocative. Book Club discussion was quite lively - with large fault lines resting on the questions of 1) whether or not the book was enjoyable and 2) whether or not Swede was a sympathetic character. Caveat emptor: I'll freely admit to both liking the book and finding Swede to be tremendously sympathetic.

I think you really hit on something with your "vacation planning" correlation - though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I could see how Philip Roth's meanderings could be maddening to some. Many at Sunday's discussion voiced this opinion - quite simply they wanted him to "(j)ust plain get on with it!" Personally, I loved the diversions into glovemaking (such detail - imagine the research!) and also thought the device of documenting the umpteen-million conversations with Merry about Vietnam New York was truly brilliant. It really captured the "mountain goats butting heads" ethos that pervades teenage-parent relations when things aren't going well.

I'm fascinated that you found Swede to be deep - quite to the contrary I thought him to be lacking a certain element of self-examination that precludes such a characterization. But at the same time, I definitely disagreed with those at the book club that found him shallow - in fact many felt that he was "pathologically shallow" if such a thing can be said. I really viewed him as a simple man trying to live by the rules and make the most out of life - truly a by the book sort of guy. At the same time, however, Swede really was quite strong - he held it together when everyone else fell apart, and he really purposely took on a lot of responsibility and suffering in his attempts to spare others. That is NOT the hallmark of the shallow, that is for sure! So maybe you are on to something after all . . .

Thanks for chiming in. The next book is Master and Margarita an allegedly uncumbersome Russian work. Pick it up and feel free to join in again on 13 Feburary.

Take care, and know that you are missed.

Andrew

9:42 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Andrew, I miss you man. What a great post.

I vacillated on whether the Swede was deep or shallow. I think he started out shallow -- a guy, like you said, who just wanted to play by the book and never faced any real adversity. After the bomb, I think he found new levels within himself -- coping, trying to hold things together, but trying never to let on.

I understand the people who say "Get to the point!" I've read books where the rambling was a distraction and an annoyance. I thought Philip Roth held it together, though. I loved the stuff about glovemaking too. Want to go into business together?

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, you were sorely missed on Sunday. There was a dearth of puns and witty rejoinders. Book club is not nearly the same without you.

Like Andrew, I thought your description of Philip Roth's writing as meandering alleys in a new city was spot on. I don't know that I agree with your read of the Swede, though. Or perhaps we just have a different definition of 'deep.' To me, he is not an intellectual man, not a thoughtful, musing man. But I think you're right that he had enormous strength. I got the feeling, though, that he had strength mainly because he didn't know how else to respond.

These are just a few thoughts as I start my day --without any caffeine thus far-- so take all this as you will. I'll try to come back later and post a few more thoughts.

Oh, about Master and Margerita by Mikhail Bulgakov...I would suggest getting a copy with annotations unless you are very familiar with Moscow, Christianity and Russian history. There are a few reading guides online that may be helpful.


clare

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
I read American Pastoral a few years ago. The glove stuff and the Swede have stuck with me as the two lasting "images" from Roth's novel. I hope your travels stay exciting. Wishing you the best,
your cousin,
Michael Parker

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home