Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Muscat

Our first view of Muscat when we woke up on Saturday, from the hotel window:



It’s actually the harbor town of Muttrah, the older residential heart of the Muscat area. We ran downstairs to have a look around. Our second view wasn’t quite so lovely:



But good scenery is in the eye of the beholder, isn’t it? Honestly, I’ve seen mountains, and I’ve seen harbor towns, but I’d never seen a pack of wild goats eating dumpster trash. I love that photo.



An old Portuguese fort stands watch over the harbor. The Portuguese should have stuck around and built some vacation homes, because the Omanis built a hell of a beautiful city here. Click on the pictures for a full screen view – it’s much better.







Here’s another fort, built on a rocky outcropping. A fort-like Irish pub has sprung up next door. I particularly love the guy kissing his baby in the lower right hand corner. A lot of times, I take some dull shot, and discover later that I inadvertently caught a lovely moment on the periphery. That photo of the children playing in front of the rugs, posted below, is an example of that. They were a tiny little dot at the bottom of the picture, until the magic of digital zooming was brought to bear. And the kiddies are ten times more interesting than the rugs in the original photo, aren’t they?



A few more random shots of Muscat:











Tomorrow – I saved the best for almost last. The mosques.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've never seen wild goats eating dumpster trash? Someone I know needs to spend a little more time in Philadelphia.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do, sucka!!!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Mystery comedian, I laughed about that for about five hours.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home