Thursday, March 31, 2005

I'm so hungry I could eat a...

Now, I know most of you think I'm living in a barbaric third-world country. I bet some of you even suspected that the refreshments at the Dubai World Cup would simply consist of the losing horses set out on steaming platters with giant mugs of mead.

Well, that's just not the case, though once Liz and I, after seeing a bullfight in southern France, stumbled on the bull's severed head out in front of the town's butcher shop. Such a barbarous country, France.

In fact, the food at the Dubai World Cup was top-notch. I was so impressed, in fact – my normal diet consists of falafel and chicken pita sandwiches – that I transcribed the labels along the buffet. In this, I met some resistance from the chef, but intrepid reporters can't back down from this sort of fearless coverage. The readers of elktown deserve to know what was served, and here it is:

  • Beef carpaccio with rocket leaves and parmesan shavings
  • Grilled medallion of venison with shallots and fresh chanterelles
  • Paupiette of sole fillet poached in a chardonnay broth, flavoured with fennel and coriander
  • Pan-roasted of Guinea – Fowl, sautéed foie gras and stuffed red cabbage with oven- dried figs
  • Lamb Noisette a la tapenade, with cassoulet of summer beans and pommes Parisian
  • Salmon Galantine rolled with julienne vegetables and anis
    (I skipped this one.)
  • Prime rib of beef with Yorkshire pudding
  • Roasted smoked chicken breast with pine nut and wheat salad
  • Grilled salmon fillet with champagne sabayon lump eggs
  • Roast leg of veal with roasted figues (Is this different than a regular fig? I don't know.)
I sampled most of these and found them satisfactory.

I didn't write down all the desserts. They were all variations on this theme:
  • Carmelized hazelnut and chocolate mille feuille
I also was convinced to bet on a horse, though a few of you know that I normally prefer to throw away my money at poker. And wouldn't you know it – my horse, an American of course – won! I won the amazing sum of 22 dirhams!

In American dollars, that converts to the tidy sum of… let's see… six bucks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foie gras is cruel, didn't you hear?

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I just took the biggest dump.

-- the girl next door

11:03 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Foie gras is cruel but so, so delicious.

I didn't have any at the Dubai Cup. I've only had it in France. I think it was even tastier then a heaping plate of freedom fries. And morally, it's OK, because the French sort of don't believe in God, so everything is cool there. See?

That other comment is not up to our standards of good taste here at elktown, and good Lord, that's really saying something.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I love your writing, but must admit that most of it is over my feeble head.... although I am interested in your food descriptions for my possible catering menus.... Latest photos are terrific. A new gentleman friend of mine has a Westie that looks just like Duffy. The owners of the two Westies across the street are probably about to move... so sad! I love you.... M.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home