Friday, June 24, 2005

Blue mosque

Forget whatever I might have said about the Jumeirah mosque. Istanbul's Blue Mosque is the most beautiful building I've ever seen.

My first view, walking out of my hotel:



I had no idea those minarets were attached to anything so spectacular. My second view, the next day:



I was awestruck.









Inside the courtyard:











A group of Japanese tourists were doing some strange kabuki shit with their hands.



Let's go inside.











A man prays…



…and a child plays:



Later that night, I went back and watched the birds swoop from spire to spire. They spiraled up and down along the minarets, like the ladies I once saw gliding up and down a double-helical staircase at a castle in France. The birds put me in mind, for some reason, of the streamers that coiled and danced around the maypole at the Renaissance Fair when I was little.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing place! Thanks for sharing photos of it. Are those wires connecting the minarets in the first few pictures? Is that for stabilization or something like that?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Those wires were like a message board, I think. They had lights on them that weren't lit.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home