Friday, June 10, 2005

Godspeed Homer

This is me with my favorite English class. Three Persian girls, one Persian woman, a Chinese Emirati, an American man and a cartoon character. Not bad for diversity.



Camera phones – not the greatest picture quality.



Here's Alaleh, a hilarious and brilliant girl. She asked for my Homer doll – a brazen thing to do, considering that I've had it for five years and it's been my teaching prop since my very first class. She asked me for it, and on the spur of the moment, I gave it to her. I was surprised as soon as the words left my mouth, but I don't regret it. It was touching to see her clutch that thing – in the two hours after she took it, she didn't let it out of her arms for one second.

It also means that one day, Homer's going to live in Iran, a destiny I would not have envisioned for him when Liz gave him to me all those years ago. If President Bush has been pondering the best way to achieve regime change in Iran, let him look no further. Homer will be our Trojan Horse, a sort of cultural D-Day storming across the Straits of Hormuz. Stand down the armies, Mr. President; Homer's going in. American culture is arriving in Iran and the country will never, ever be the same.

And when the mullahs fall one day, and Fox Iran starts broadcasting Simpsons reruns 8 times a day, and Muslim, Christian and Jew dance together in the streets of Tehran -- you can tell your friends that you witnessed the very moment, the very instant that America entered the Iranian bloodstream, never to be displaced. It's breathtaking, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, it could also go sour. I cringe to think of a bearded Homer, cursing the Great Satan while "temporarily marrying" crabs-infested whores. By the way, Eric, when is your deporta-... I mean, when are you coming home?

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now let's take a relaxed attitute toward work, and watch the baseball match. The Ny Mets are my favorite squadron.

Apu N.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home